Monday, October 4, 2010

Sound Installation Progress

Here are pictures of my potential sound installation ideas, along with a video of my progress and a link to my sound cloud account where my sound clips live!



This first idea is supposed to be a comment about our vanity and our obsession with how others perceive us. I thought it would be interesting to explore the kind of reactions people would have if they had to sit in front of a mirror listening to the sounds of people laughing. How uncomfortable would they be? What kind of emotions would they be feeling?

For my second idea I wanted to comment on the fact that in todays world we are busy and self centered. We are always talking, but never really listening. I wanted to play off of that idea by presenting the viewer of my piece with this very familiar image of a tin can phone. Everyone knows that you are supposed to talk into it and then listen for what your friend has to say, however, with this phone all you hear is someone talking at you and you never get any time to respond. Just listening. How does that feel?

I'm not sure as of yet what the audio will be. I am thinking it will either be of a woman I recorded in the subway who was trying to give a speech but was being ignored, or it might be a recording of people asking rhetorical questions.








No comments:

Post a Comment